Since I spend most of my time alone, I have found ways to entertain and amuse myself.
When I'm at the cabin, I attempt to play a harmonica. I bought a harmonica and a book titled, "TEACH YOURSELF HOW TO PLAY BLUES HARMONICA." And man, can I jam playing, "Hot Cross Buns." Who knew that was a Blues song? Can you sense the sarcasm?
When I am day hiking alone or out alone backpacking for a few days, I do several things to entertain myself.
They say when hiking alone, one should make noise, talk, sing, wear bells, a whistle, etc to avoid startling a bear.
Well, bells are just plain annoying, my singing voice would shatter glass, but it probably would bring a bear to it's knees, and continuously blowing a whistle makes my ears ring for at least 2 hours, and when I talk to myself, I typically run out of things to say. So what I do, is Narrate my hike like I'm telling a story about myself. Everyone should try it sometime. I
usually end up hysterically laughing at myself and praying that no one has viewed this spectacle.
It sounds something like this: "As she climbs the steep sandy trail, the back pack, resembling the size and weight of a baby elephant, is beginning to show its mass by the agonizing expression on Julie's face."
See? It's fun.
5 comments:
it'd be kinda fun to see a pic of the inside of your "crib"...that is, if you're permitted to share TS locations w/ the public! :)
Inside the cabin? Nah, it's not as cozy looking as you would think. Just one room, with a seperate kitchen and bathroom. White walls and florescent lights--like in an office. I've posted my maps of the trails and mountains on the walls for decor. But I'm really not there enough to want to spend money on making it more homely--especially since it's just a seasonal position.
Ahh, so I guess that answers another question I was going to ask: do you cook your own meals or do they have a staff mess/chow-hall etc? It sounds like you're making your own grub though. You'll have to share your "marmot under glass" recipe with us once you perfect it!:)
BTW, that's the West Ridge of Mt. Hunter, AK
No, I have to fend for myself. Today I ditched most of my lunch and spent the day grazing on Spring Beauties (lil flowers) that taste like arugula lettuce. Wish I brought some salad dressing!
Mmmm, sounds wonderful.... I'd imagine that's what heaven is like - WITH a nice vinaigrette, of course! Stay safe :)
Post a Comment