I'll start from the very beginning. I've had a love for animals for a long time. When I was a kid I brought home snakes, lizards, frogs, cats, & dogs wanted to keep them all. Luckily for my parents I wasn't into bugs. As I child I wanted to become a veterinarian. Later in my teens becoming a vet seemed like a bad idea. They have to see sick animals and put them to sleep! I could never do it. Props to the amazing people who work as vets! I love dogs. I love cats. I love them all and I want to help them all. Somehow. I met a friend a year ago who has the most amazing, sweet, obedient, mellow, loving Pit bull named "Doobie." I can't use enough great adjectives to describe this pooch. We currently have a 3 year old flat coat retriever mix named Charlotte. She's the Driggs Idaho ambassador. Everyone knows her and loves her. She's a nearly perfect & well behaved dog. She just came that way. She required very little training. I only say nearly perfect because she loves to have garbage parties when we leave the house. But, back to the pit bull part of the story. I wanted my own "Doobie." We weren't looking for another dog and actually didn't want one. So, I decided I would sign up to start fostering pit bulls through the Boise Bully Breed Rescue. Fostering would take care of my wanting my own Doobie while saving the life of a dog in danger of being put to sleep. After I signed up I went online, chose a dog and a week later, "Shortcake" was delivered to my door from 350 miles away. Shortcake was on death row, developing kennel stress, had been abused, had a litter of puppies at 7 or 8 months old and found as a stray by Animal Control shortly after she had puppies. She was at the shelter for 3 months after they found her. She's approximately a year old. She came to our house scared, timid, fear aggressive, had never been in a car before, cautious, nervous, didn't know her name, not housebroken, and didn't know ANY commands. I thought, "holy shit.....WHAT have I gotten myself into. This dog will NEVER be a Doobie dog." We've had her 2 months now and she has completely turned around. First, we changed her name to "Greta." It suits her. She has learned to sit, lay down, punch it (it's same as a high five), roll over, stand and bow. She actually takes a bow! She's the daintiest little pit bull you've ever seen at a whopping 35 lbs full grown. Now, if I could just teach her to sleep in her own bed instead of mine! Oh, and it's official. We've adopted her. The goofy looking white little dog is our Greta and the chunky meat pie wearing the hat & glasses is Doobie.
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Animal Rescue
I'll start from the very beginning. I've had a love for animals for a long time. When I was a kid I brought home snakes, lizards, frogs, cats, & dogs wanted to keep them all. Luckily for my parents I wasn't into bugs. As I child I wanted to become a veterinarian. Later in my teens becoming a vet seemed like a bad idea. They have to see sick animals and put them to sleep! I could never do it. Props to the amazing people who work as vets! I love dogs. I love cats. I love them all and I want to help them all. Somehow. I met a friend a year ago who has the most amazing, sweet, obedient, mellow, loving Pit bull named "Doobie." I can't use enough great adjectives to describe this pooch. We currently have a 3 year old flat coat retriever mix named Charlotte. She's the Driggs Idaho ambassador. Everyone knows her and loves her. She's a nearly perfect & well behaved dog. She just came that way. She required very little training. I only say nearly perfect because she loves to have garbage parties when we leave the house. But, back to the pit bull part of the story. I wanted my own "Doobie." We weren't looking for another dog and actually didn't want one. So, I decided I would sign up to start fostering pit bulls through the Boise Bully Breed Rescue. Fostering would take care of my wanting my own Doobie while saving the life of a dog in danger of being put to sleep. After I signed up I went online, chose a dog and a week later, "Shortcake" was delivered to my door from 350 miles away. Shortcake was on death row, developing kennel stress, had been abused, had a litter of puppies at 7 or 8 months old and found as a stray by Animal Control shortly after she had puppies. She was at the shelter for 3 months after they found her. She's approximately a year old. She came to our house scared, timid, fear aggressive, had never been in a car before, cautious, nervous, didn't know her name, not housebroken, and didn't know ANY commands. I thought, "holy shit.....WHAT have I gotten myself into. This dog will NEVER be a Doobie dog." We've had her 2 months now and she has completely turned around. First, we changed her name to "Greta." It suits her. She has learned to sit, lay down, punch it (it's same as a high five), roll over, stand and bow. She actually takes a bow! She's the daintiest little pit bull you've ever seen at a whopping 35 lbs full grown. Now, if I could just teach her to sleep in her own bed instead of mine! Oh, and it's official. We've adopted her. The goofy looking white little dog is our Greta and the chunky meat pie wearing the hat & glasses is Doobie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment