Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Backcountry Snowboarding

Yesterday was my first time ever on a snowmobile and first time snowboarding in the backcountry. Needless to say my entire body took a beating from riding on the sled as well as snowboarding untouched deeeeeeep powder. (Poor Julie, right?) I was a nervous wreck for most of the morning. All I could think about were the risks of getting caught in an avalanche. Just last week a 44 year old man lost his life in an avalanche while skiing in the backcountry. A risk I don't want to take all for the thrill and enjoyment of riding perfect powder. I have't taken any avalanche classes and neither have most of the people we were with. I checked the avalanche forecast for the day before we left the house. The avy forecast for the day was a #2 "moderate,"(out of 5, 5 being the highest/dangerous) which was the same forecast when the avalanche killed that skier last week. He was also skiing in extreme terrain that is prone to slides. The terrain we rode is much more mellow and not extreme at all. So when I dropped into my first run my adrenaline was pumping through my veins. I had butterflies and anxiety but after a few smooth turns I was able to truly enjoy the ride. I'm looking forward to doing more of this and learning more about potential risks and educating myself to stay safe and be responsible in the backcountry.









3 comments:

Laidlaw said...

The ONLY reason I am not EXTREMELY disappointed in you is that it looks like the slope you were on is not steep enough to be likely to slide. PLEASE, at the very LEAST, pick up a copy of Snow Sense on Amazon and read it cover to cover before you go out again. If you can't afford it, I will SEND you a free copy (I have a few left over), email me: mark at wandr.com

Julie (@Mountainpooper) said...

Yeah, it was fairly mellow. I'll definitely pick up that book! I appreciate the recommendation! I have to educate myself on avalanche safety since snowboarders can't take the avy classes here unless they have a split board--which I'm pretty sure I will never own. Thanks again! I'll check it out! Safety FIRST!

Laidlaw said...

Not being able to take an avy course without a splitboard is the wackest-ass policy I have ever heard, wtf...
--Mark