Friday, May 1, 2009

Lovely Mud Season

Next week will be my one year anniversary for moving out west. I began the planning for this journey far longer than one year ago. I had a calling to head west to bigger and more expansive mountains to explore. Reality hits me every morning when I wake up and look out of my window at the Tetons and Big Hole mountains. I'm still in awe. I can't believe I have made a life for myself being so far away from my family and long time friends--a new start all by myself. I can officially say now, "I did it," and really believe those words when I say them.

It hasn't been easy staying here. I have been laid off from the 2 jobs I held, I've moved 4 times, spent 6 weeks being homeless--yet had the greatest road trip/backpacking trip of my life, good friends are hard to come by, and colleges (which I'm planning on finishing) are an hour or more away. I'm not complaining. I am very grateful to have experienced life the way I've been led. Being away from my family, has allowed me to really appreciate them more. We seem to be more connected on the importance of each others well being and maintaining frequent contact. I'm just saying, when living close to family, little "non issue" problems take front and center stage. The petty stuff. Now, we all seem to be focusing on keeping the "family bond" close. Being away, has allowed me to reflect on my old life back in Tennessee. I miss so much back home, and wouldn't change a thing about how I lived there. If I did, I may not be where I am today.

I've been very pro-active in finding a job. I've applied for over 40 jobs within the last 2 months. Until I get one, there is always an underlying stress. I keep active in my spare time. There is a lot of it right now! I can't go back packing yet, because there is so much snow in the back country, AND it continues to snow/rain here in the valley. This is what I've heard the locals call, "mud season." People who live here go out of town from mid April till the end of May. I always wondered why anyone would want to leave ANY time of year, this place is BEAUTIFUL year round! Well, now I am beginning to understand their point. The forecast has called for rain nearly every day over the last 2 weeks, and week to come. Yeah, yeah, rain is dreary, cold and dark, but after living in Tennessee most of my life--I'm used to it. I still love it here! The massive mountains aren't going to wash away, and I certainly won't melt! Bring on the rain! It's just water! After all, it's not like I'm made of sugar.

No comments: