Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Music in the Desert



It's that time again where we made our spring pilgrimage to the desert to pay homage to the music Gods while spending time with our closest friends. Yep! Coachella Music and Arts Festival! This is our favorite event of the year and this is our 5th year attending. I cannot express how moving it was to see the band Arcade Fire bring out a "secret" special guest to sing with them. I was moved to tears when the legend, Debbie Harry, Blondie, walked onto the stage and sang "Heart of Glass" with the band. This was just ONE of the many WOW/magical moments of the festival. The diversity of music keeps my short attention span completely satisfied. In one day I can see a dozen different musical acts of all genres of music. I can get my funk on and groove to New Orleans funk band, Trombone Shorty, followed by the smooth jazz infused female vocals of ZZ Ward, then get back to the 80's with the Pet Shop Boys, then BRIEFLY hitting up the heavy metal band Motörhead, guest starring Slash and ending the night having my face melted off by EDM (electronic dance music) pioneer, Skrillex. And that's just the music. The ART of the festival is both visual and interactive. The large scale art installations keep topping the previous years installations every year. So unique, so huge, so visual and intriguing. The art gives the festival the feeling of being on a foreign planet or a distant or futuristic land. Really. It's well thought out and quite beautiful. But enough about the music and art.... The FOOD! Oh my... I had a lobster claw sandwich on a sweet toasted bun with salted butter. Wow. It was perfect! There are gormet vegan and vegetarian options, coffee shops, farmers markets, fresh yummy sinful doughnuts that are made to order, delish breakfast burritos, amazing fried fish tacos with a lime dressing, smoothies, etc! I fully indulged in all of these tastey delights. 

One last thing I love most about this festival, is the gathering of my closest, most dear friends that share same passion for live music, food, costumes, and who love FUN as much as I do, make the pilgrimage to meet in the desert every year.

So now I'm going to share a few of my favorite pictures.




















No comments: