Friday, February 7, 2014
New Hobby
I've always wanted to learn how to downhill ski ever since I moved out West almost 6 years ago. I became a snowboarder my first winter here after learning how much a ski set up (skis, boots, bindings & poles) would cost. I had no idea each item was so expensive (minus the poles). I worked in a ski shop my first winter here and even with my employee discount it was going to come out around $700-1000. I didnt know many people at that time otherwise I would've borrowed or bought used gear. That's how and why I became a snowboarder. I bought my entire snowboard set up for just under $300! Now, don't get me wrong I LOVE snowboarding! I love surfing down the mountain in waist deep powder blowing snow into my face with each swift turn. Riding powder is the most exillerating feeling in the world! However, riding hardpacked groomers is not very enjoyable on a board. Some people love it but I don't. I've turned into a powder snob and won't go up to the ski hill if there isn't at LEAST 4+ inches of new snow. This is not a good way to be living in a ski down during the high pressure days, sometimes weeks, of sunshine and no new snow. I should be up there using my ski pass! So I'm finally learning how to ski. I bought an old used pair of skis WITH bindings for $25! The edges and bases of the skis are PERFECT! These skis probably never left the bunny hill! My ski boots were brand new and I bought them for half off. My entire set up cost $350 which is a near steal! I've been up at Targhee tearing up the bunny hill and having an absolute blast learning something new. Hopefully by the end of this ski season I'll be able to ski the entire mountain. I think it's a reasonable and realistic goal. Cheers to learning new things & having fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I have been thinking about doing the same thing lately! Just to try something different! :-)
--Mark
Post a Comment