Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Wind River Range

I don't really know what it is about this particular mountain range that draws me in. I know I love the fact there is a lake or stream around every corner and over every hill. I love the long approach to get into the heart of the range. We hiked in about 17 miles to our main base camp and took big day hikes from camp over the next 3 days. I love how tiny I feel being surrounded by dozens of peaks over 13,000 ft high. I love being completely away from civilization & unreachable with the worlds problems and bad news. The Winds are my solace a peace. I am grounded and recharged after every visit. As I scramble off trail for several miles up and through a boulder field I am very aware of every step I take on every rock, testing its stability. It takes brain power and focus and knowing that if I fall or injure myself it could take easily 24 hours for any rescue crew to reach me (or my friend)---which in turn, makes me feel so alive! However, I really don't think I could get more than a scraped knee, so really, the risk seems minimal.

There are no distractions while in the desolate remote beauty of the Winds. Their Native American past also weighs heavily on my mind while trekking through the vast remote mountains. I can't help but wonder and imagine how the Indians lived and hunted and how they survived the extremely harsh long winters. The Winds have a part of me that I can't quite explain. They are absolutely magical and feel so untouched by humans. Hopefully, they will remain that way forever.



The view from our first camp site
The long approach in




The unspoiled Titcomb Basin

Basecamp

Waiting out the storm

We brought in a Badminton set to play when we took breaks from hiking

Plenty of wildflowers 

Shenanigans before scrambling up the boulder field behind us



Miles of boulders







No comments: